The display is often used because of its low price and high availability. One of the main advantages is the ease of operation.
- LCD display 2x16 characters,
- Driver: SPLC780D compatible with HD44780
- Black negative
- Backlight: white LEDs, white characters
- Module size : 80 x 36 x 12 mm
- Character size: 2.95 x 4.35 mm
- Operating temperature range : -20 to +50 degrees C
A detailed description and a library for microcontrollers AVR is available on the following page: link.
Dimensions and outputs of display
Selection of display instruction register
(low) or data register (high)
|5||R/W||Read (low) / Write (status high)|
The display can be controlled in the following modes:
- 8-bit without busy flag read for transmission of the desired eight data bus lines and two control lines (RS, E - RW is connected to ground).
- 8-bit with busy flag read for transmission of the desired eight data bus lines and three control lines (RS, E, RW).
- 4-bit with busy flag read for transmission of the desired four lines of data bus and three control lines(RS, E, RW).
- 4-bit without busy flag for transmission of the desired four lines of data bus and two control lines (RS, E - RW is connected to ground)).
The most frequently selected method of communication is the mode 4-bit without busy flag read. Sending a half-byte allows you to save valuable I/O microcontroller - only four data lines are beign used (8-bit captured eight of them). No busy flag read introduces the need to use software delays, but allows you to save even a single line - R/W. Pins can be connected on a permanent basis to the ground, because the data will be transported to the display in one direction only.