Product description: Pololu Step-Down Voltage Regulator D24V6F5 - 5V 0,6A
Converter, type step-down is used to power the systems operating with voltage 5 V. The advantage of the system is the wide input voltage ranging from 3.8 V to 42 V (the minimum value depends on the voltage drop-out). The module allows for current consumption up to 600 mA, it is sufficient value to power average integrated circuits. In our offer, we have also versions of 3.3 V and with the lower current efficiency of up to 300 mA.
Breakouts of D24V6F5 voltage regulator
The module has four leads:
- VIN - the input voltage from range of 6.0 V to 42 V, it is necessary to pay attention to the value of drop-out and to short voltage pulses that can damage the system
- GND - the ground potential
- VOUT- output voltage
- SHDN - indicating the low status (logical zero) causes the system to low energy consumption (approx. 20 uA). To run the system, you must indicate the high state (logical one - voltage above 2.3 V). If the lead is not being used, you can combine it with an adjacent VIN pin.
System performance of voltage regulator
Performance is defined as the ratio of output power to input power (Power out)/(Power in). This is a very important parameter for working with portable sources of energy (batteries and accumulators) when working time on one cycle of charging, is very important. The performance of the pulse system is about 80 % - 90 %.
The parameter, stated in the documentation as a drop-out voltage, is necessary for the proper operation of the system, the minimum difference between input and output voltage. For example, if drop-out is 1 V, and preferable output voltage is 5 V, the supply voltage must be higher than 6V. The figures below show the value of voltage drop-out for converters D24VxFx.
Hazardous voltage pulses
When connecting power to the module, there can appear dangerous, electrical short pulses of high amplitude (so-called pins) which can damage the system. Test of Pololu company states that for voltages above 20V pins can have an amplitude excessing 42V. In order to protect against this undesirable phenomenon, recommended is soldering the capacitor with value of at least 33uF, as close as possible to the power pins of the converter.
Specification of Pololu D24V6F5 voltage regulator
- Input voltage: 6* V to 42 V
- Output voltage: 5 V
- Maximum input current: 600 mA
- An efficiency level of 80 - 90 %
- The switching frequency is 550 kHz
- Dimensions: 12 x 10 x 3 mm
- Weight (without connectors): 0.5 g