Product description: Revolution Pi RevPi Core 3 4GB eMMC
TheRevolution Pi RevPi Core 3minicomputer has been adapted for industrial applications. Based on the boardRaspberry Pi Compute Module 3with quad-core processor BroadcomBCM2837 ARM Cortex-A53 at 1.2 GHz. The module comes with 1GB of RAM and4GB of eMMC memory, as well as an Ethernet port, two USB 2.0 connectors, a microUSB port and microHDMI. RevPi runs on specially modified version of Raspbian system with RTC support preinstalled. It is poweredfrom 12 V to 24 V DCand enclosed in a DIN rail mounted enclosure. Supports Modbus protocol, can be programmed in Node-RED environment.
Power supply for RevPi Core 3
One of the most important elements is the power supply for RevPi Core module. In order to generate the least heat from the power supply, ahigh quality DC-DC converter(with an efficiency of over 80%) is used, whose input voltage is24 V. However, Core can also work with lower voltage than 10.2V, but then the performance of USB ports will be lower, for correct operation of ports requires voltage higher than 11V. With 24V power supply, the loss of power supply up to25ms will not affect the RevPi Core performance (no load on the USB ports). The device is protected against high disturbances and electrical and electromagnetic discharges. Power to the RevPi Core is supplied throughscrew connectorslocated on the bottom of the device. Moreover, Revolution Pi is equipped withRTC24 h, so the date and time will always be up-to-date.
RevPi Core 3 interfaces
The Revolution Pi RevPi Core 3 module is equipped with a number of important interfaces.
- RJ45 Ethernet port to connect to the LAN.
- Two USB Type A connectors, to which you can connect USB 2.0 client devices. Both connectors have 5V / 500 mA output, which allows you to connect different types of USB drives, pendrives, without using an active USB hub.
- The microUSB connector can work as USB host system, e.g. to connect the RevPi to your computer for the first flashing.
- MicroHDMI connector for screen connection.
Modular design of the RevPi Core 3
Minicomputer is equipped withPiBridgeconnector on the top of the case, which is used to connect the expansion modules Revolution Pi, these are:
- 4 PiBridge pins used to automatically detect the connected module when the RevPi starts up, the RevPi Core knows exactly what device is connected and what physical position it is in.
- 4 PiBridge pins for fast exchange of small data packets via RS485. This channel is also used to configure the module during the boot-up phase. Once configured, it is used for cyclic data exchange between the RevPi Core and all connected IO modules.
- 8 PiBridge pins for fast exchange of large data packets over the Ethernet port. Channel used only by gateway modules that can cyclically accumulate up to 512 bytes of data from almost all buses.
RevPi Core 3 meets industrial requirements
The main goal of Revolution Pi was to apply Raspberry Pi in industry to become a real IPC that meets EN 61131-2 standard.
- Power supply: 12 V to 24 V DC, max. 10 W
- Operating temperature: from -40°C to 55°C
- ESD protection: 4 kV / 8 kV according to EN 61131-2 and IEC 61000-6-2
- Shock tests: according to EN 61131-2 and IEC 61000-6-2
- EMI tests: according to EN 61131-2 and IEC 61000-6-2
- UL Certified (UL file number E494534)
Raspberry Pi vs Revolution Pi
Standard versions of the Raspberry Pi are small modules equipped with interfaces found in standard PCs. The Raspberry Pi Foundation has created an inexpensive boardfor educational purposes. The Revolution Pi modules were based on the Raspberry Pi Compute Module board, for which Kunbus created an evaluation board, creating a controller with the same specifications as classicPLCs. Revolution Pi was created forindustrialapplications with the possibility of expanding its capabilities through modules with IO interfaces and communication modules.
|RevPi Core 3 specification|
|Processor||Broadcom BMC2837 Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53|
|EMMC memory||4 GB|
|Supply voltage||12 V to 24 V|
|Working temperature||from -40°C to 55°C|
|Storage temperature||from -40°C to 85°C|
|Degree of protection||IP20|
|ESD protection||4 kV / 8 kV|
|EMI test||according to EN 61131-2 and IEC 61000-6-2|
|Surge test||according to EN 61131-2 and IEC 61000-6-2|
|UL certified||yes, E494534|
|Dimensions||111 x 22.5 x 96 mm|
|1x Ethernet RJ45|
|2x USB 2.0|
|2x PiBridge (for RevPi Con modules)|