Product Description: SGP40 Air Cleanliness Sensor - VOC - I2C - Waveshare 20168
Air purity sensor manufactured by Waveshare. It has a built-in SGP40 chip introduced by the popular Sensirion company, so it detects volatile organic compounds and measures VOC air quality from 0 ppm to 1000 ppm. The sensor's output is a digital signal and the values are presented by VOC index readings - from 0 to 500. The air quality depends on the range the reading is in - the lower the VOC index value the cleaner the air. The module uses I2C communication interface.
Special features of SGP40 sensor
- Designed to detect volatile organic compounds.
- Used for air quality monitoring, among other purposes.
- It can be used to measure emissions from coal, natural gas, cigarette or kitchen smoke and emissions from construction work, white goods and then generate digital signals to run air treatment equipment.
- It has humidity compensation and low heat dissipation, giving exceptional performance whatever the environment.
- SGP40 Air Cleanliness Sensor - VOC - I2C - Waveshare 20168
- Connection cable PH2.0 4PIN - 20 cm long
VOC index - ranges
- from 0 to 100 - air quality: excellent
- 100 to 200 - air quality: good
- 200 to 300 - air quality: slightly polluted
- 300 to 400 - air quality: moderately polluted
- 400 to 500 - air quality: very polluted
Example of sensor connection to Raspberry Pi.
Sensor pinout description
- Green line - SCL - I2C interface clock line
- Purple line - SDA - I2C interface data line
- Black line - GND - Ground
- Red line - VCC - power supply
Technical specification of the sensor
- Type: gas sensor
- Detection: VOC (volatile organic compounds)
- Embedded chip: SGP40
- Sensor output signal: digital
- Communication interface: I2C bus
- Interface address: 0x59
- Measuring range:
- VOC: from 0 ppm to 1000 ppm
- VOC index value: 0 to 500
- Response time: < 10 s
- Turn-on time: < 60 s
- Operating voltage: 3.3 V / 5 V
- Module dimensions: 27 x 20 mm
- Mounting hole diameter: 2 mm