Product description: LCD display 2x16 characters green with connectors - justPi
Alphanumeric LCD display by justPi. It presents values in two lines, 16 characters in each. It is powered by 5 V. It is characterized by extremely simple operation, high availability and numerous support for many microcontrollers. Characters are displayed on green background. Module has soldered connectors necessary to connect it to Arduino.
Product is compatible with Arduino
In standard set of libraries and sample programs downloaded from Arduino IDE environment there is LiquidCrystal library, which allows to operate presented display.
Pinout description of the display
Thealphanumeric display has 12 pins, which are not marked on the board. Each of them corresponds in turn to:
- 1 - VSS - system ground
- 2 - VDD - 5V power supply
- 3 - V0 - contrast
- 4 - RS - select display instruction register (low state) or data register (high state)
- 5 - R/W - read (low state) / write (high state)
- 6 - E - unlocking the display
- 7...14 - DB0...DB7 - data bus
- 15 - LEDA - backlight power supply 5 V
- 16 - LEDK - backlight system common ground
Controlling 2x16 LCD module
The display from justPi can be controlled in four modes:
- 8-bit without reading the busy flag - eight lines of the data bus and two control lines (RS, E - RW connected to GND) are needed for transmission,
- 8-bit with read busy flag - eight lines of the data bus and three control lines (RS, E, RW) are required for transmission,
- 4-bit with readout of the busy flag - for transmission four lines of the data bus and three control lines are needed (RS, E, RW),
- 4-bit without readout of the occupancy flag - for transmission four lines of the data bus and two control lines are needed (RS, E - RW connected to the ground).
The most often chosen communication mode is the 4-bit mode without reading the busy flag. Sending half a byte saves valuable I/O pins of microcontroller - only four data lines are used (in 8-bit mode eight of them are occupied). Not reading the busy flag makes it necessary to use software delays, but saves another line - R/W. This pin can be permanently connected to ground, because the data will be transported only one way - to the display.
Technical specification of the display
- Type: alphanumeric LCD display
- Supply voltage: 5 V
- Controller compatible with HD44780
- Backlighting: black characters
- Green background
- Operating temperature range: from -20°C to 70°C
- Dimensions of one character: 2.45 x 5 mm
- Module dimensions: 80 x 36 mm